Happy Birthday




So today is my 31st birthday!! I can't believe it has already been 365 since my 30th. Last year I did a big to-do so this year I am keeping it mellow. Tonight I am taking a cooking class at Sur La table with 8 of my friends. In honor of the cooking themed party I made a fork & spoon cookie cutter for both my fondant decorations and cookies that I planned to give each guest. This was my first time using royal icing in an attempt to make the icing flow. I didn't realize that I needed two different consistency's so the icing is a little messy on the cookies. For the cake I made 5 fondant forks and 5 fondant spoons a couple of days ago that I was planning on putting on the sides of the cake. (I will come back to this)

No everyone I know likes the taste of fondant which is a very common thing here in America so I thought I would try icing the cake with butter cream and then using fondant decorations. You tuber, Edna, from design me a cake has an excellent tutorial online for making and using butter cream. So crusting butter cream is what I used to ice the cake. I finished last night at 12:38AM and told myself that I would adhere the decorations in the morning. 5:30AM and I was in the kitchen but to my dismay the fondant decorations that I made were too large and ended up cracking when I tried to pick them up-URGGGG!!! So I pulled out my extra pink fondant and started cutting away to make little tiny forks and spoons. I just drew and pattern on a piece of paper and traced around the pattern with a small blade.

So the final product: Magnolia's birthday cake recipe from their cookbook, Edna crusting butter cream icing, and fondant forks, spoons, bow, and "born to bake" label.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! I'm sure everyone will love the gift.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails