Today is both my dad and grandma's birthday so I decided to bake them a cake. My dad's a little old fashion in that he loves a moist yellow cake with real chocolaty frosting, usually the kind in the box. I have been in search of a moist yellow cake for a long time and found a recipe on bakerella's blog that look absolutely delicious. I made two 8 in round cakes even though the recipe calls for three- I didn't have three 8 in cake pans so two it was. Once the cakes were out of the oven and cooled I decided to make two mini individual cakes. My dad is a MAC addict so using white satin ice rolled fondant I cut out the Apple Logo to grace the top of his cake. For my grandma I decided to keep it pretty-in-pink and gave her mini cake a pink bottom border and a banner wishing her a very happy 86th birthday. I love you both!
Moist Yellow Cake with chocolaty chocolate frosting 1 cup (2 sticks) of butter (room temperature) 2 cups of sugar 4 eggs (room temperature) 3 cups of sifted self-rising flour (White Lily) 1 cup of whole milk (room temperature) 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (McCormicks) 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour (3) 8 inch cake pans.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue to cream for about 7 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg is added.
- Add flour and milk (alternating to creamed mixture), beginning and ending with flour.
- Add vanilla and butter flavoring to mix; until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally into three cake pans.
- Hold each layer about 3 inches above your counter and carefully drop the pans flat onto counter several times to ensure release of any air bubbles. This will help you have a more level cake.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes (depending on your oven) until done.
- Cool in pans for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove and immediately wrap each layer in plastic wrap to seal in moisture. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Once cooled, you are ready to assemble your cake
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract