Or a Ginger & Lemon Hot Toddy
This has worked great for me and I just had to share it. One of the nicest things about this recipe is its easy to make and one batch can last a long time. Since ginger acts as an anti-imflamitory it helps with the swelling of the glands thus reducing the typical sore throat pain.
3 Large ginger roots (purchased at local Grocery Store)
Large pot of water
- Use a peeler to peel the outside skin of the ginger. I don't know if you really have to do this but I feel like you get more from the root by doing it. It doesnt have to be completely free of skin but get as much as you can.
- Slice and dice ginger into 1/4 inch-1/2 inch pieces
- Place ginger in large pot and fill with water
- Boil water and ginger on med for 10-15 minutes. The longer the ginger sits in the water the stronger the hot toddy.
- Use a strainer or plate or whatever you have to fill your cup with some of the liquid.
- Let the remaining liquid sit on the stove for 30 minutes and then transfer remaining ginger water to a container for later use.
- Slice a lemon in half. Squeeze half a lemon in your hot toddy and sip while warm.
Your first hot toddy will be the weakest which is good because it will give you a chance to get used to the taste but as the ginger sits in the water it will make your next several hot toddy's VERY strong. For the last few cups I had to put a little honey to cut the tang of the ginger. Totally optional. You should feel some relief after the first cup is finished. Drink it throughout the day and right before bed. Always drink it warm.