When life gives you lemons...



Or a Ginger & Lemon Hot Toddy


ginger,ginger root lemons,yellow,sliced lemon
Like most people this season I caught the flu and for the last four days-yes 1, 2, 3, 4 DAYS I have been in bed with the fever, sore throat, can't swallow flu. It has not been fun but like the sign says...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade or like I did make a Ginger & Lemon hot toddy. On Sunday morning when I realized that I had been caught by this flu I did an online search for homeopathic remedies for a sore throat and came across this a form called myhomeremedies. On this form was a recipe for hot water with ginger and so I sent Teddy to the store to pick up some fresh ginger root and lemons so I could get to work. It doesn't take the flu away but this Ginger & Lemon Hot Toddy makes the sore throat a little more bearable.

This has worked great for me and I just had to share it. One of the nicest things about this recipe is its easy to make and one batch can last a long time. Since ginger acts as an anti-imflamitory it helps with the swelling of the glands thus reducing the typical sore throat pain.

Ingredients:
3 Large ginger roots (purchased at local Grocery Store)
5-6 Lemons
Large pot of water
Honey (optional)

  1. Use a peeler to peel the outside skin of the ginger. I don't know if you really have to do this but I feel like you get more from the root by doing it. It doesnt have to be completely free of skin but get as much as you can.
  2. Slice and dice ginger into 1/4 inch-1/2 inch pieces
  3. Place ginger in large pot and fill with water
  4. Boil water and ginger on med for 10-15 minutes. The longer the ginger sits in the water the stronger the hot toddy.
  5. Use a strainer or plate or whatever you have to fill your cup with some of the liquid.
  6. Let the remaining liquid sit on the stove for 30 minutes and then transfer remaining ginger water to a container for later use.
  7. Slice a lemon in half. Squeeze half a lemon in your hot toddy and sip while warm.

Your first hot toddy will be the weakest which is good because it will give you a chance to get used to the taste but as the ginger sits in the water it will make your next several hot toddy's VERY strong. For the last few cups I had to put a little honey to cut the tang of the ginger. Totally optional. You should feel some relief after the first cup is finished. Drink it throughout the day and right before bed. Always drink it warm.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alexis,
    You will not believe it. I make this tea every single day. My mother in law made some for me a few months ago… I can not stop now. It’s so good. I’m actually having some right now :-D

    Alba H. Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails